Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Thu March 21, 2013
Report: Uncertainty Surrounds Arkansas Steel Mill Plan
Consultants hired by the Arkansas Legislature say economic development officials overestimated the long term benefits of a proposal to finance a proposed $1.1 billion steel mill and didn't consider uncertainties surrounding the project.
The Legislature on Thursday released a summary of the report by IHS Global Insight. The company was hired to look at the cost and benefits of the proposed Big River Steel project.
Gov. Mike Beebe has asked lawmakers to approve a $125 million financing plan for the mill.
IHS said the steel industry can absorb the addition of the mill, but Big River may not be able to meet its production goals if another major facility opens.
State economic development officials note that the proposal includes provisions to recover costs if the mill doesn't meet performance goals.