Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
The 'Revolutionary Opera' And The Chinese Cultural Revolution
A “Revolutionary Opera” refers to one used as propaganda during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, engineered by the wife of Chairman Mao Zedong, and glorifying the People’s Liberation Army.
The titles of the eight such operas produced pretty well tell the tale, and include Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy and Red Detachment of Women.
Not much like Puccini or Wagner is it?