Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
The 'Revolutionary Opera' And The Chinese Cultural Revolution
A “Revolutionary Opera” refers to one used as propaganda during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, engineered by the wife of Chairman Mao Zedong, and glorifying the People’s Liberation Army.
The titles of the eight such operas produced pretty well tell the tale, and include Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy and Red Detachment of Women.
Not much like Puccini or Wagner is it?