Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Local & Regional News
Wed May 7, 2014
Saline And Craighead Counties Collect Signatures To Go Wet
A committee called "Our Community, Our Dollars" is collecting signatures to make Saline County in central Arkansas and Craighead County in northeast Arkansas wet counties.
Starting this week through early July, residents in the two counties can sign a petition to allow the sale of alcohol.
Jay Allen, president of the organization that began the petition drive, said this would give voters a chance to voice their opinions.
“Whatever your feelings are on the issue. The voters in those two counties haven't had a chance to vote on this for decades, literally,” Allen said.
“It's a customer service issue, it's giving customers products and convenience that they want, but it's also an economic development issue in terms of potential jobs and keeping taxes in those specific counties.”
The committee has gained sponsorships from Arkansas-based retail giant Walmart and conveinence store chain Kum & Go.
The committee will need signatures from 38% of registered voters in each county to make it to the November ballot.