Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
- What Survey Finds About The Economics Of Race In Pulaski County
Buffalo National River
Tue June 4, 2013
Searchers Find Missing Man's Body In Buffalo River
Authorities have recovered the body of a Texas man who died while swimming in the Buffalo National River over the weekend.
Authorities say 27-year-old Stephen Carney of Austin had been missing since Friday afternoon when he dove off a 25-foot bluff into the river and never surfaced.
Officials with Newton County Search and Rescue say Carney's friends began looking for him immediately but high waters slowed the effort. The water was above normal levels and somewhat muddy.
Glenn Wheeler with Newton County Search and Rescue says a firefighter from Harrison found Carney's body Sunday afternoon in about 5 feet of water.