Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Buffalo National River
Tue June 4, 2013
Searchers Find Missing Man's Body In Buffalo River
Authorities have recovered the body of a Texas man who died while swimming in the Buffalo National River over the weekend.
Authorities say 27-year-old Stephen Carney of Austin had been missing since Friday afternoon when he dove off a 25-foot bluff into the river and never surfaced.
Officials with Newton County Search and Rescue say Carney's friends began looking for him immediately but high waters slowed the effort. The water was above normal levels and somewhat muddy.
Glenn Wheeler with Newton County Search and Rescue says a firefighter from Harrison found Carney's body Sunday afternoon in about 5 feet of water.