Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Buffalo National River
Tue June 4, 2013
Searchers Find Missing Man's Body In Buffalo River
Authorities have recovered the body of a Texas man who died while swimming in the Buffalo National River over the weekend.
Authorities say 27-year-old Stephen Carney of Austin had been missing since Friday afternoon when he dove off a 25-foot bluff into the river and never surfaced.
Officials with Newton County Search and Rescue say Carney's friends began looking for him immediately but high waters slowed the effort. The water was above normal levels and somewhat muddy.
Glenn Wheeler with Newton County Search and Rescue says a firefighter from Harrison found Carney's body Sunday afternoon in about 5 feet of water.