Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Local & Regional News
Mon March 11, 2013
State Board Agrees To Close Weiner High School
The State Board of Education has agreed to close Weiner High School in northeast Arkansas.
The board voted 5-2 Monday to close the school at the request of Harrisburg School District Superintendent Danny Sample.
The Weiner district was annexed in 2010 into the Harrisburg district after enrollment fell below 350 students.
Weiner supporters have fought since then to keep the elementary and high schools open.
Sample asked for permission to close the high school as of July 1 in an effort to save money.
Weiner students in kindergarten through sixth grade will remain on the Weiner campus for at least a year as school officials monitor funding and spending issues.
The vote comes two days after Weiner's girls basketball team finished as runners-up in the Arkansas Class 1A State Championship.