Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Wed July 10, 2013
State Hospital Worker Fired For Hitting Patient
The Arkansas Department of Human Services says a worker at the State Hospital has been fired for hitting a patient with a closed fist.
The hospital on Tuesday dismissed the worker for failing to follow proper guidelines.
Officials say the worker was hit by a patient last Wednesday. The worker responded by punching the patient, who needed a trip to the hospital for stitches.
DHS didn't name the worker because he can still file an appeal. The employee was placed on administrative leave the day of the incident, pending the outcome of an investigation.
State Hospital CEO Steve Henson says that staff members have to expect to encounter agitated patients and use their training to respond properly.
DHS says its case file was turned over to prosecutors for possible charges.