Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Tue January 21, 2014
State Panel Recommends NLR For New Veterans' Home
The Arkansas Veterans Commission has recommended that the state's new veterans' home be built in North Little Rock.
The commission's vote Tuesday is not binding, and the final decision will be made by Department of Veterans Affairs Director Cissy Rucker.
The commission reviewed 20 site proposals from around the state before narrowing the list down to four - two in Jacksonville and one each in North Little Rock and Searcy.
According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Rucker plans to release her decision in the next two weeks. But Rucker says funding for the project will be delayed until the next fiscal year unless the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs moves up the state in its priority ranking for veterans homes.