Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Sun June 9, 2013
Tomatoes Scarce For Arkansas Pink Tomato Festival
The annual Bradley County Pink Tomato Festival is about to start and officials are concerned about a potential lack of tomatoes.
The festival began with the Grand Tomato Ball on Friday with the main attractions of food, music and arts and crafts scheduled for June 13-15 in the southeastern Arkansas town.
But organizers say the main attraction - tomatoes - are scarce and smaller than usual.
Bradley County extension agent John Gavin says three cold snaps during April stunted tomato growth and delayed the usual first of June harvest time by two to three weeks. Gavin says tomatoes that are picked now would be used for decoration and likely finger foods.