Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Tue June 25, 2013
VIDEO For Nelson Mandela: Johnny Clegg's 'Asimbonanga'
Originally published on Tue June 25, 2013 9:09 am
President Jacob Zuma's office said Tuesday that Mandela's "condition remains unchanged in hospital and doctors continue to do their best to ensure his recovery, well-being and comfort."
According to South Africa's News 24, "family members have been seen arriving for a meeting" in Mandela's home village. And it adds that:
"Mandela's eldest daughter Makaziwe has said her father appears to be at peace with himself.
" 'He has given so much to the world. I believe he is at peace.' "
News 24 also reports that "treasured pictures taken with former President Nelson Mandela, inspirational quotes by the anti-apartheid icon, and messages of support to him and his family" are pouring onto social media from South Africans.
Among the tributes getting some attention on the Web is a video of singer Johnny Clegg's 1999 performance of "Asimbonanga" ("we have not seen him"), a song he wrote in 1986 about Mandela — when Mandela was still in prison.
As you'll see, Mandela himself comes on stage to dance.
Clegg's lyrics are here.