Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Mon January 13, 2014
Young Adults Hit Hard By Flu, Arkansas Department Of Health Reports
The Arkansas Department of Health says young adults are being hit hard by this year's strain of influenza.
State health officials said Monday that seven of the state's 15 flu deaths so far this season occurred in people between the ages of 25 and 50.
State epidemiologist Dr. Dirk Haselow says many of those people had no underlying medical conditions prior to falling ill. Health officials are urging Arkansans to get vaccinated for the flu.
Haselow says only one of the 15 people who died so far this season had received a flu vaccine.
The state estimates that about 650,000 Arkansans between the ages of 25 and 50 have not yet been vaccinated for influenza.
The U.S. Centers for Disease control says 35 states have reported widespread influenza activity.