Arkansas Crime

The owner of two Arkansas mental health companies that provide services for juveniles has pleaded not guilty to charges that he bribed a former top official of the state's Human Services Department.

Ted Suhl pleaded not guilty in federal court Friday to conspiracy to commit bribery and honest services fraud, three counts of honest services fraud, one count of federal funds bribery and one count of interstate travel in aid of bribery. A jury trial is scheduled for Jan. 19.

McPherson Prison Unit in Newport
Arkansas Department of Correction

A former prison chaplain at an Arkansas women's prison is charged with sexually assaulting three inmates.

Prosecutor Henry Boyce announced Thursday that 50 counts of sexual assault charges had been filed against 67-year-old Kenneth Dewitt. The charging documents allege that DeWitt carried on sexual relationships with three inmates between 2013 and 2014.

Jeff Rosenzweig, an attorney representing Dewitt, says he is making arrangements to turn himself in to authorities.

Beverly Carter
Pulaski County Sheriff's Office

A Pulaski County judge has ruled that evidence found in the car of a man charged in the death of a central Arkansas real estate agent cannot be introduced at trial.

Circuit Court Judge Herbert Wright said in a ruling late Wednesday that the evidence taken from Arron Lewis' car was obtained using an overly broad search warrant, not during an inventory of items when the car was impounded. Lewis is charged with kidnapping and capital murder in the 2014 killing of Beverly Carter.

The Arkansas Court of Appeals has denied an appeal from a man convicted of raping an 11-year-old girl who was later found dead in a drainage ditch.

The court ruled Wednesday that it wasn't improper for a judge to deny Freddie Sharp access to State Crime Laboratory files and other material because he refused to sign a protective order. The court said Sharp could have used the material in court if he'd signed the agreement not to publicly release it.

Arron Lewis
KATV, Channel 7 News

Attorneys for a man charged in the death of a central Arkansas real estate agent say a judge should not reconsider excluding evidence seized from his car.

Pulaski County Circuit Judge Herbert Wright had ruled that the evidence was inadmissible because investigators relied on an overly broad search warrant to obtain it. Attorneys for Arron Lewis, who is charged with capital murder and kidnapping in the 2014 slaying of Beverly Carter, say the state cannot prove the evidence was collected during an impound-lot inventory of the car.

Arron Lewis
KATV, Channel 7 News

Prosecutors are asking a judge to reconsider part of his decision that threw out much of the evidence against the man charged in the death of a central Arkansas real estate agent.

Arron Lewis is set to go to trial next month for the 2014 slaying of Beverly Carter. But last week, Pulaski County Circuit Judge Herbert Wright ruled that evidence seized from Lewis' car must be excluded from trial because investigators relied on an overly broad search warrant to obtain it.

Brad Bartelt and his girlfriend Connie Hampton, who has been arrested on a weapons charge.
CRAIGHEAD COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE

The man accused of prompting a lockdown at Arkansas State University by bringing a shotgun on campus has now been formally charged. Meanwhile authorities Friday released new details of the incident.

A Craighead County judge set bond at $50,000 cash for Brad Kenneth Bartelt. The Jonesboro man was charged with aggravated assault, terrorist threats, criminal possession of explosive material and carrying a firearm in a publicly owned facility.

Countycourthouse.com

The man accused of causing a lockdown at Arkansas State University has his first court appearance set for Friday afternoon.

Jonesboro police spokesman Paul Holmes says the suspect, 47-year-old Brad Kenneth Bartelt, will appear via video link from the Craighead County jail for a probable cause hearing at 1 p.m. Friday.

Bartelt is being held on a preliminary charge of aggravated assault for the Thursday incident, but Holmes says he could face more charges.

Arkansas State University

The chancellor at Arkansas State University is praising the community's response after an armed man drove onto campus and prompted an hours-long lockdown until he surrendered.
 
Chancellor Tim Hudson issued a statement Friday morning commending the strength of first responders, students and staff after Thursday's incident. He ended the statement: "Together we rise; together we thrive."
 

ASU standoff
KATV, Channel 7 News

After a panicked situation that had authorities fearing they were dealing with an active shooter, a suspect is in custody facing charges and a mental evaluation.  47-year-old Brad Kenneth Bartelt drove his pickup onto a lawn at Arkansas State University at about 1:30 p.m. Thursday while displaying a shotgun, police said. 

Pages